Free Money For College

       To apply for the Chafee Grant, the foster youth must submit the Chafee Grant Application, the Free Application for Student Aid (FASFA), and the Chafee Need Analysis Report.

Chafee Grant application online Free Application for Federal Student Aid

       If you prefer, you may print and submit the paper version of the application and complete the paper FASFA. You can call toll free (800) 433-3243 to have a FASFA application mailed to you.

Chafee Grant application (Paper Version) Free Application for Federal Student Aid (Paper Version) California Chafee Grant for Foster Students

       If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 for career training or college. You may also be able to use the grant for expenses related to child care, transportation, and rent while you are in college.

       To qualify, you must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. In addition, the Court must have established your dependency when you were between the ages of 16 and 18. Youth who are placed in homes eligible for KinGap, adopted youth, guardian placement, and voluntary placement may not be eligible for the award, unless your dependency was established between the ages of 16 and 18.

       To learn more, read the Chafee Grant Fact Sheet or contact your high school counselor, college's financial aid office, county or college Independent Living Coordinator, social worker, or lawyer.

California Student Aid Commission Specialized Programs Operations Branch California Chafee Grant Program P.O. Box 419029 Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9029 Telephone (888) 224.7268

© Children's Advocacy Group 2020